Disaster party!
Wednesday, January 17, 2007



Yesterday was my cousin's engagement party (father's brother's son).

I got a call on Friday inviting me to the engagement.. and when i asked where it was.. i was told to go to this hall.. i was like OK.. so yesterday i passed by my mother and sister and we went to hall..

as we entered the hall we noticed we are the only people from my father's family who are there.. THE ONLY PEOPLE... all the people there were from the bride's side.. apparently my father's family gathered at my uncle's house and they all entered together with the gifts etc..

so there they are all of them entering together and me and my mother were sitting there like idiots.. i felt so embarrassed and angry.. i told my mother let's leave.. she was like no wait.. of course my mother being the blunt person she is.. went and berated them for not telling us.. and of course everyone was like " oh we only found out by coincidence to go there" yeah right.. they ALL found out by coincidence.. i guessed they thought we are stupid..

so we stayed but i was pissed off ,, i just sat there waiting for the whole thing to finish.. not to mention my mother gave me a lecture on what i wearing as she felt it was not appropriate..

when the groom came in ,, AGAIN they called everyone to go to the door to bring him in.. EXCEPT US.. and i took out my keys this time and told my mother let's go.. but nope she said let's stay.. so i kept thinking to myself .. if only i had came alone.. i would have been home with my husband and son now.. my husband who respects me and loves me.. not my supposed family who treat me like a stranger..

so now i am sitting there boiling inside.. and dinner time came.. i told my mother i am not hungry.. she said.. oh u must feel embarrassed to walk around (because of my clothes) and i just kept quiet.. i mean nothing could get worse than this..

finally thankfully my mother agreed to leave after dinner and i went home.. i was so upset i didn't even talk to my husband or anything.. i just went and slept..

that's the last family social gathering i will be attending for a while..

Image hosting by Photobucket




11 comment(s):

Oracle,
her mama did liek what she was wearing and though tit was not to the standard! ya righttttt! so she was jokign at her outfit :(

By Blogger FerreroRoche, at 11:26 AM  

i meant didnt like

By Blogger FerreroRoche, at 11:27 AM  

That sucks! I'm sorry you had to go through that! You know i was supposed to go to the same engagement party and even i was told to on where to gather up before going to the hall.

What's up with the trend ppl having elaborate engagement parties? It used to be just the actual wedding/milka/henna nights.

By Blogger Kay, at 1:42 PM  

wow kay even you were told ! and he's supposed to be my first cousin.. oh well..

By Blogger Mystique, at 2:50 PM  

lol I wanna know what you were wearing now :p

Family sux. Mom and I have been in the same situations as that so many times; now we both avoid going (especially me).

When you said I would rather be home with my husband who "loves and respects me" I thought it was so wonderful that you have that in him! God bless you two =)

By Blogger Samyah, at 5:38 PM  

Well to be fair I knew because it was cause my friend who is staying with me this week is the groom's first cousin too, and we were supposed to go.

By Blogger Kay, at 2:32 PM  

what a stupid and disrespectful thing to do. I'm not really surprised to be honest because they've always seen us and treated us like strangers and not actual family members. It's situations like these that make me thankful that I only see them during eid and nothing more.

By Blogger Unknown, at 7:29 PM  

Damn what an uncomfortable post to read, particularly Nabhan's comment here.

Am not surprised about what happened that night because the whole thing was last minute so there were bound to be someone who wasn't informed of the last minute arrangements. Unfortunately it turned out to be you. I can totally understand how you felt. It's not a position I'd ever want to be in. However your brother was with the men when we gathered together with the groom in his house while waiting for the call to proceed to the party hall. He knew that the women from the family didn't go to the party till late. I'm surprised he didn't tell you guys.

When the groom arrived they didn't call out to the women from his family to come bring him in. After reading your post I actually went and asked. I was told that when the women started heading to the door all the other women from the groom's family just followed them without being asked. It's what's done in all weddings, isn't it? It's just this party was different because it wasn't a wedding even though everything inside made it look like it was one.

Nabhan - I dunno how to reply to what you said. Anyhow, this isn't something I'd address in a blog comment either way.

By Blogger muscati, at 9:15 PM  

well muscati it's just really upsetting to read what happened to my sister and mother especially when it happened twice, the 2nd time being right infront of them.

By Blogger Unknown, at 2:45 AM  

So.. did you dance in the wedding?

By Blogger Det. Conan, at 8:46 AM  

Hey Muscati,

i am sorry if i upset you with my post. I guess you are right about the second incident.. but the embarrassment i faced because of the first incident being the ONLY people there from our side.. was something i am not going to get over soon.. i don't like to be put in a situation where i feel disrepected or disregarded.. but anyways that is over now..

the main reason i went is because i knew the groom wanted me to be there.. and i glad he is happy i went..so that makes everything ok..

nabhan, you cannot generalise because of one incident.. they are our family and in fact it dissapoints me that we only get to see them from eid to eid.. but i guess that is the way things are..

By Blogger Mystique, at 9:14 AM  

location.href=https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=15736175&postID=8230118657139441543;> Post a comment

<< Home

Image hosting by Photobucket

Image hosting by Photobucket