Comparison
Sunday, April 16, 2006



Ever since I became a mother this issue of comparison has been bugging the hell out of me. I get comments from people that say.. oh my son was fatter or my son was more active or my son used to sleep all throughout the night. My son ate more bla bla bla and every time I hear these comments I just groan inwardly and think here we go again !!

A couple of weeks back I was visiting a relative, and her son is two weeks younger than mine. My son who is 6 and a half months old has started to attempt crawling, and I mean a proper crawl where he lifts his body and moves forwards rather than slither on his stomach as some kids do, he’s been in this phase for sometime now and when this “relative” saw him she was like.. “ur son is crawling am sure then he will be late in teething” keep in mind her son hasn’t even turned over yet but that’s because he’s a cute chubby baby (god bless him) ! anyways she got shocked when I told her two of his teeth have already come out… then you could see her looking for some other thing to say to compare ,, I just moved away and changed the subject..

This doesn’t bother me personally much, but I wonder how it will be for my son and hers being compared to each other all the time.. I remember hating being compared to one of my cousins as a child and we ended up not being touch at all now, as I am sure everyone hates comparison. .. and I don’t want him to face that, but what can I do?? I guess I will just have to deal with it as it comes.

Image hosting by Photobucket




4 comment(s):

I hate this comparison thingi as well.. But its so normal as it seems to compare between babies! or maybe gurl since u n this relative have nth much to talk about then babies urs and hers will be liek the main topic and so each time she will ask sth about ur baby and as an effort to make a conversation she will compare that point of ur baby with hers!

but yaa i hate the issue of comaprison and i know it can develope bad feelings and low self steem if u r the one who is the 'poor' one! if u know wt i mean!

By Blogger FerreroRoche, at 9:14 AM  

My cousin and I were always compared when we were kids & very close..now we don't really have a relatinship and only see eachother in Eid.

Same thing happened with my brother and the cousin who's his age..

Its pretty sad, I havent yet come across two kids compared who survived it and are still friends. Parents really ought to think about what sort of damage they are doing with even the simplest of comments.

By Blogger Samyah, at 11:53 AM  

They can compare all they want, cousin.. your Adham is still cuter than all the other kids he's being compared with, isn't he?

Too bad when someone tells you that some other kid is doing something yours still hasn't started you can't just reply "yeh he can do that, but he's ugly. so there!".

By Blogger muscati, at 6:18 PM  

lol muscati..i can only imagine the look on their face if i did say such a line. heheh maybe i should try that sometime.

By Blogger Mystique, at 2:39 PM  

location.href=https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=15736175&postID=114516379848294662;> Post a comment

<< Home

Image hosting by Photobucket

Image hosting by Photobucket